These delicious cookies are always a hit with family and friends and they don’t last long! This recipe makes a lovely tangy soft cookie with almond chips to add a crunch. Great with a cup of tea in the afternoon when entertaining friends.
- 100g soft butter or margarine
- 100g castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 185g plain flour (a little more may be needed)
- Half a teaspoon baking powder
- zest and juice of one lemon
- a large handful of almonds or as many as you have available, crushed.
- Preheat the oven to 180c (gas mark 4, 350F).
- Add the sugar and butter and lemon zest to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Crush the almonds by putting them into a plastic bag and hitting them with a rolling pin until they are ‘chocolate chip’ size pieces.
- Add the vanilla essence and egg to the butter mixture and beat until thick and creamy.
- Add the lemon juice and two tablespoons of flour and mix well.
- Gradually add the rest of the flour, baking powder and the crushed almonds and continue mixing. The cookie dough should be thick and sticky so that it stands in peaks when the spatula is lifted from the mixture and it is tough to mix. Add more flour if it is not thick enough, it will depend on the size of the lemon and the amount of juice added.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon out half tablespoon size balls of the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with greaseproof/baking paper, and bake for 16 minutes or until the tops of the cookies are starting to turn golden.
- Place on a baking tray to cool.
These cookies will keep in an air tight container for up to a week, or can be frozen in bags.
Cookbooks for Baking Fans
Lemon and Almond Cookies are one of the Kitchen and Cook Shop’s favourite recipes. Here is a further selection of great cookie recipe books.
- The Cookie Book: More Than 200 Great Cookie, Biscuit, Bar and Brownie Recipes (Catherine Atkinson)
- The Cookie Jar: Over 90 Scrumptious Recipes for Home-baked Treats (Liz Franklin)
- Great British Bake Off: Children’s Party Cakes & Bakes (Annie Rigg)
Be Prepared with the Best Kitchen Tools
Here is some kitchen equipment that will help you to make great cookies!