I have to confess that this Thai Red Curry is one of Nigella’s recipes that I have adapted. Hers was Prawn and Mango, mine is chicken with extra chilli. Here at the Kitchen & Cook Shop we love chillies and spicy food so you can expect to see many recipes to give your taste buds a lift! We add extra chillies to this curry as for us the red thai curry paste just isn’t spicy enough, but you don’t need to add extra if you prefer a milder curry.
For a curry that will feed 4 to 6.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil or Wok Oil
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 6 or 7 fresh mushrooms
- 250g Chicken Breast cubed
- Half a large green pepper
- 150g-200g diced sweet potato
- 150g-200g diced butternut squash
- 1-2 tablespoons of Thai Red Curry paste, or to taste
- 1 400ml can of Coconut Milk
- half a chicken stock cube
- 2 or 3 Hot Chillies chopped or whole to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons of fresh chopped coriander or use dried to taste.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a wok or large saucepan add the oil, chicken and onion and fry until the chicken is golden. Add a little of the thai curry paste as you are frying to colour the chicken.
- Add the mushrooms, pepper, sweet potato and butternut squash and stir fry for one minute to heat through, then add the extra chillies.
- Break up the stock cube over the vegetables and then pour over the coconut milk. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. As it simmers you will notice that the sauce thickens up.
- Stir in the coriander and season to taste. This Thai Red Curry is great served with rice or a jacket potato if you have leftovers for lunch.
Great Indian Food and Curry Recipe Cookbooks
For more great curry recipes, we suggest checking out these excellent books which can be found different formats, including in hardback, paperback, and for Kindle devices.
- The Hairy Bikers’ Great Curries
- Curry Easy Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey
- Rick Stein’s India
- Madhur Jaffrey’s Curry Nation
- Fresh India by Meera Sodha
- Curry Easy by Madhur Jaffrey
Below are some of the kitchen utensils and cookware that us at Kitchen & Cook Shop find useful when making a curry.